Frequently Asked Questions

I am registered to vote but unsure of where my polling place (precinct) is located. Where can I find this information?

The location of your precinct is listed on your precinct card. If you do not have one, or have misplaced your card and do not know where your precinct is located, call the BOER Office, visit or call the Secretary of State’s Elections Division at (404) 656-2871, or the Secretary of State’s toll-free Voter Information Hotline at (888) 265-1115.

You may also contact the Secretary of State’s Elections Division by facsimile at (404) 651-9531.

If I show up at the wrong precinct on Election Day can I vote there, or do I have to go to my own precinct to vote?

You must go to your proper precinct, except that if you show up at the wrong precinct and in the reasonable exercise of discretion the precinct official determines that there is not enough time for you to make it to your correct precinct by 7:00 pm, you will be allowed to vote a paper ballot (Provisional Ballot) at the precinct in which you are present. In this case, only the votes cast for candidates for whom you would have been eligible to vote were you in your proper precinct will be counted.

I have not voted in a while, how can I find out if I am still eligible to vote?

If you have not voted in a while please contact the BOER to see if you are still eligible to vote. You can also visit or call the Secretary of State’s Elections Division at (404) 656-2871, or the Secretary of State’s toll-free Voter Information Hotline at (888) see if you are registered to vote and to find out what precinct you vote in. Please remember that you must be registered to vote 30 days prior to a primary or election to be eligible to vote. The 30 days also applies to having your name changed or your address changed on your voter registration information.

I’ve recently moved. Am I still eligible to vote at my old precinct?

Voters are required to notify the BOER whenever they move. If you move within Madison County and did not notify the BOER at least 30 days prior to the election, you may vote in your old precinct for the current primary or election. You must complete a change of address card at the precinct. If you move outside Madison County within 30 days of a primary or election, you may vote in your old precinct for that election and any ensuing runoff only. If you move outside Madison County more than 30 days prior to a primary or election, you have lost your eligibility to vote in elections in Madison County. You must register to vote in your new county of residence, and if you did not register to vote in the new county by the deadline, you cannot vote in that particular primary or election. To register in a new county contact the elections office or visit  

How do I change my address?

If you need to file a change of address, you can get an application by contacting the BOER (see contact information at top of page); at the Madison County Library; at the Madison County Department of Family and Children’s Services; at the Madison County High School, or by completing the back of your precinct card and mail it to the BOER Office. If you no longer have your precinct card, you can call the BOER Office to request a new precinct card to be mailed to you. Once this request is made you should receive your card in the mail within 4 -6 weeks. If the request is completed within 30 days of a primary or election the change may not take effect until after the primary or election. Please contact the BOER Office if you have questions about election deadline dates or visit:  

How do I get a Precinct Card?

You can contact the BOER Office to request a new precinct card to be mailed to you. Once this request is made you should receive your card in the mail within 4 to 6 weeks.

How do I register to vote? Where do I go to register to vote?

Contact the BOER Office located in the Madison County Government Complex 91 Albany Avenue Danielsville, Georgia 30633. Office hours are Monday-Friday 8:00 am – 5:00 pm. or visit

What are the Election Dates?

Please visit the Georgia Secretary of State’s Web site by clicking on

If we are using the link from the SOS site it will automatically update unless they change the link.   If there is a Special Election called outside of the specified dates for elections we will update the BOER’s Web site  with that information.

What are the ways to vote?

The three ways to vote are as follows:

  1. ADVANCE VOTING - No reasons needed. It's easy and convenient and allows you to vote on a day and time that's suitable for you. Beginning at least 21 days before any election, visit Madison County’s Early Voting Site located in the Madison County Government Complex 91 Albany Avenue. Danielsville, Ga., present your photo ID and cast your vote.
  2. VOTE BY MAIL - No reasons needed. Just fill out the application. Mail it, fax it or drop it off at the BOER Office by the designated date.  Your ballot will be mailed to you. Requests for an absentee ballot may be submitted 180 days prior to Election Day. Madison County begins mailing ballots 45 days prior to the election.
  3. ELECTION DAY - On Election Day, you must vote at your assigned precinct.

Am I required to show identification when I vote?

When you arrive at your precinct, you will complete a voter’s certificate which asks for your name and residence address. You will then present the certificate and proper identification to the poll official who will verify that you are a registered voter in that precinct. Georgia law (O.C.G.A § 21-2-417) requires Georgia residents to show photo identification when voting in person. Proper identification shall consist of any one of the following:

  • Any valid state or federal government issued photo ID, including a FREE Voter ID Card issued by the Madison County Board of Elections and Registration or the Georgia Department of Driver Services (DDS);
  • A Georgia Driver's License, even if expired;
  • Valid employee photo ID from any branch, department, agency, or entity of the U.S. Government, Georgia, or any county, municipality, board, authority or other entity of this State;
  • Valid U.S. passport ID;
  • Valid U.S. military photo ID;
  • Valid tribal photo ID;

Note 1: You are not required to include any identification when you vote absentee by mail, if you provided proper identification at the time you registered. 

Note 2: The “precinct card” you receive to confirm your voter registration and voting location is NOT a form of identification, and it will not be sufficient identification to vote.

What happens if I don't have any identification with me at the polling place?

If you are unable to produce any of the (6) forms of identification listed above at the time of voting, you may vote a Provisional Ballot. If you submit a copy of a proper photo ID to the BOER Office within Three (3) days of voting, your ballot will be counted and you will be notified by letter.

What is a provisional ballot?

A provisional ballot is a paper ballot used by a voter whose eligibility or vote is in question and cannot be determined on Election Day.

May I receive assistance in casting my ballot?

Voters may receive assistance at the polls if they are unable to read the English language or if he or she has a physical disability that renders them unable to see or mark the ballot or operate the voting equipment. In order to do so, everyone, except those that are blind, must take an oath showing the reason they need assistance. The person providing the assistance to the voter must (1) make himself or herself known to a poll official who will record such information on the disabled voter's voter certificate showing that such person provided assistance to such voter and (2) sign the Oath of Assisted Elector form. When there is a federal candidate on the ballot, the voter can select anyone they want to assist them in voting, except the voter's employer, an agent of that employer, or an officer or agent of the voter's union. When there is no federal candidate on the ballot, the voter can select (1) any voter, except a poll officer or poll watcher, who is a resident of the precinct in which the voter requiring assistance is attempting to vote; or (2) The parent, grandparent, aunt, uncle, sister, brother, spouse, son daughter, niece, nephew, grandchild, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, or attendant care provider of the voter entitled to receive assistance. No person may assist more than ten voters in a primary, election, or runoff.

A voter who declares that by reason of blindness he or she is unable to cast a vote without assistance may receive necessary assistance on the basis of the blind voter's declaration without the necessity of an oath. The printed name and signature of such person assisting a blind voter shall be provided on the Declaration of Blind Elector form.

A voter who is vision impaired and wishes to cast a ballot on a direct recording and electronic voting machine (DRE) touch screen unit may do so on the unit with the Voters with Disability (VWD) Kit attached.

Note: Between the hours of 9:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. on the day of an election, voters who are 75 years of age or older or who are physically disabled may, upon request to a poll officer, vote immediately without waiting in line. 

May I take my child to the polls with me?

Any elector may be accompanied into the voting machine area while voting by such elector's child or children under the age of 18 years of age or any child who is 12 years of age or younger. However, they may not be disruptive or interfere with the voting process, or operate any function of the voting machine.

Are sample ballots available prior to the election?

Yes. Sample ballots are available at the BOER Office and the Secretary of State’s Office Web site: . Voters are authorized to carry a sample ballot or list of selected candidates with them to the polls to aid them in voting their ballot.

When is the best time to go to the polls to avoid having to wait in long lines?

Peak voting hours appear to be from 7:00 am till 9:30 am and 4:30 pm till 7:00 pm, and during the mid-day lunch hour.

What time will the polls open and close on a Primary or Election Day?

Polls are open from 7:00 am until 7:00 pm on both Primary and Election days. However, any voter who is waiting to vote at 7:00 pm will be allowed to vote.

How do I get a free Georgia Voter Identification Card?

To obtain a free photo ID card, a voter must be registered to vote in Madison County. Requests for a free photo ID card please contact the Madison County BOER or visit the Georgia Department of Driver’s Services with proof of registration and residency.

The photo ID card issued through the BOER is to be used for voting purposes only.

Is my employer required to grant me time off to vote?

Yes. Georgia law requires employers to grant their workers up to two hours to vote on the day of an election. However, the employer is authorized to specify the hours which an employee may use. This provision does not apply to employees whose hours of work begin at least two hours after the polls open or end at least two hours before the polls close. There is no obligation for an employer to pay the employee for the time taken to vote.

Can I wear a campaign button into the precinct building?

No person may campaign; distribute literature or written or printed matter of any kind; wear campaign buttons, signs, pins, stickers, t-shirts, etc.; circulate petitions; or perform similar activities within 150 feet of the building in which a polling place is located.

How are provisional ballots counted?

On the day following the primary or election, the BOER investigates each and every provisional ballot in an attempt to help prove the voter’s eligibility. If the BOER can find proof that the voter is eligible to vote then the voter’s ballot is counted, if not the voter’s ballot is rejected. As part of the process of voting a provisional ballot, the voter will complete an application to register to vote so even if the registrar is unable to prove the voter’s eligibility, the voter will be able to get registered for future elections.

For voter registration please contact the BOER whose office hours are Monday-Friday 8:00 am – 5:00 pm. or visit

For additional answers to frequently asked question please visit the Georgia Secretary of State's Web page at 

Please read note about links to external websites